“Brave”

brave-1I. Love. This. Layout.

LOVE it!

Did I mention I love this layout? Because I love, love, love it!

It’s one of those layouts you finish and you then want to take it and run around with it and show it to everyone you meet. Well, I suppose this blog post is another way of accomplishing that!

My prompt for this layout was “Brave.” When I pulled that prompt out of my little jar of prompts I knew almost immediately what I wanted to do with the page. Brave, to me, meant bright, bold colors – and not only that, but using color combos people can tend to be afraid of. Or at least color combos that I personally used to be afraid of, and one of those combos is red and violet. (I have flashbacks of running across ladies in the ‘Red Had Society’.)

I began the layout by gessoing the spread with Liquitex clear gesso then sanded it down to remove some of the really rough tooth. I then took my Faber-Castell Gelatos in red and orange (but primarily red) and smeared them all over the layout using my finger. At times I wet down my finger to get the color to move and blend more easily. Once that was finished I took out my metallic violet acrylic paint and smudged bits of violet around the layout and also dabbed square shapes of violet onto the layout with my mini Tim Holtz Distress ink pad.

brave-5While I had the Distress ink out, I stamped the word “Brave” off on the right edge of the layout with individual stamp letters. I purposely didn’t stamp the entire letter on the page, just cut off the very bottoms of the letters – there’s enough there that they eye knows to fill in anything missing to make the letters whole.

The page still needed some more brave touches of color so I took out my light blue acrylic paint and dabbed some on with a sponge in spots and used some of it with a chevron stencil. I allowed the layout to dry a bit and then adhered cut out letters from magazines for the word “Brave” with gel medium. I had prepped the cutouts previously with a light spray of blue Dylusions spray ink, as well. Because of the nature of the Gelatos and spray ink, when I adhered the letters to the page with the gel medium, the pigment smeared. It was at that point that I decided to hit the entire layout with gel medium to seal everything else down should I decide to add any further touches.

I outlined the letters in the cutout text with my white Gelly Roll pen to make them more legible then wrote in the rest of the initial quote I had found by Paulo Coelho. I also added another sentiment about bravery to the right-hand side of the layout. I then filled the page with some swirly vine details (so fun to draw). I drew those with my Bic Mark-it permanent marker. I added little black dots here and there around the layout for added interest.

I decided at that point the layout needed more purple so I grabbed some purple washi tape and added it to the page on the lower right edge and close to the upper left edge. I filled in the white dots from the tape with some gel pens. I wanted a little extra white around the layout so doodled in some smaller white vine designs and drew some tiny white flowers. As a finishing touch I adhered the turqouise beads to the layout on the right side.

brave-3Hope you enjoyed the layout. I am open to comments and suggestions on how to better describe processes, etc.


List of materials:

Moleskine Sketchbook
Mod Podge
Liquitex Clear Gesso
Faber-Castell Gelatos
Artist’s Loft Acrylic Paints
Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Ink
Sakura Gelly Roll Pen, white
BIC Mark-It Permanent Marker
Elmer’s Craft Glue
Turquoise beads
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s